Restart

I've had this blog for a year. Created it about the time I was almost completing my first Telecaster-style guitar.

It was supposed to be a step-by-step account of how to build a guitar from scratch. So that I don't forget.

I'd kept notes and photos of the build. But after sitting on them for a while, self-doubt crept in. I ended up convincing myself that the world did not need another amateur sharing his experience on building an electric guitar.

For my own reference, I compiled my notes and photos as a PDF document, saving it as a handy file on my phone.

Then two things happened.

One: two days ago, a friend reminded me of my post from some way back. She rediscovered it while looking up her archive. Reading that reminded me that writing was a practice that I seem to have neglected (darn you, Facebook). So I wrote a few random thoughts on this blog. But it was rather half-hearted because I already have this one. Seemed pointless to write once and publish twice.

Two: this morning, I met with another friend. Our chat led to us our vague recollections of Robert Persig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. To which I said I could write a blog about Zen and the Art of Making Guitars. He thought it was a good idea but I had second thoughts. Wasn't sure if I had that much to write about the "philosophy" of guitar making.

But it occurred to me I could simply be zen about it, and just write. Afterall, it's an aim to exercise the brain, not to write a book nor come across as an expert.

Yeah, I can do this.

Purpose set.

Dilemma resolved.

Here we go.

Comments