Wood stash

This is my stash of wood. All reclaimed. The lot was originally destined for the trash bins. 

The pine was from a shipping crate originating from Germany. I learnt they heat-treated the wood as part of some regulatory requirements. No wonder the wood was mold and insect-free.

The brown coloured boards are thick plywood. I was heading for work one day when I saw them abandoned at the void deck. Thought I could try making a neck out of it. Maybe.

Why reclaim wood for building guitars?

Reycling seemed like a more attractive idea. Creating functional art from what would otherwise have been junk or incinerated -- it is not elegant and practical.

After finishing Build No.1, I was keen to continue making guitars. But buying more virgin wood would make it a relatively expensive hobby (though it's pretty affordable compared to hobbies like golf or going on holidays).

At first I wasn't sure if using reclaimed pine would be feasible. Gave it a shot and it worked out.

Then I worried about not being able to reclaim anymore pine.

Silly.

I've not even used it all and already I'm worried about the future whatifs. There's a difference between planning ahead and being kiasu. 

I was attached to my desire for certainty.

Yet another reminder to be zen about it.


Comments